Search This Blog

January 18, 2009

Goofy Challenge--I did it!!!!!!!

I can't believe I accomplished my third dream running goal: to complete the Walt Disney World Goofy Challenge. I can't describe how proud I feel!!

HALF MARATHON
I went to bed early and awoke at 3am to start fuelling and hydrating. I was on the bus at 4am for the 6am start. Two hours of waiting around in the cold temperatures for the start of the race did not impress me--I could not see the logic in the wait. For extra cash paid ahead of time, a heated tent with additional luxuries, such as private toilets and a full post-race meal, was provided.

I decided weeks ago that I would pace myself for the half-marathon component of the Goofy Challenge. It was very difficult to not pick up the pace when I experienced sudden bursts of energy. The race took me through Epcot and the Magic Kingdom, where Disney characters lined the streets for photos with racers, and to provide moral support. As I ran through the castle in the Magic Kingdom, horns trumpeted as I emerged on the other side, and hundreds of spectators cheered us on.

FULL MARATHON

My body was slightly sore on Sunday, and my IT band was tender on both legs, however, the vision of the finish line and an accomplished dream goal caused me much excited anticipation. I went to sleep early on Saturday night, but I felt exhausted when I awoke at 3am to start the hydrating and fuelling process. I knew the challenge that lay ahead, but I tried not to think too deeply about it and redirected my thoughts to the present moment of preparing for the eve
nt. The morning routine mimicked yesterday's, including the early morning boarding of the bus to go and wait at Epcot until the 6am start. I continued to hydrate and fuel as I huddled in a tent with others trying to keep our muscles warm.

The race took us through all the theme parks. There were points in the race I was hurting terribly (sore muscles, particularly both IT bands that felt they would tear at any time) and needed to walk to stretch out my tight muscles. I gratefully accepted Advil and blue gooey muscle rub at the Aid Stations along the route. Occasionally, a few choice four letter words would slip past my lips as I would semi-run, semi-limp along...words the would mingle among sentences of self-encouragement and visionary motivation. The runners with the blue wrist bands stood out--we were the Goofy runners--and we supported each other along the way with pats on the back and pep talks; anything to distract from the pain was welcome.

The finish line, finally a distant memory, awarded me three large gold medals: Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. They were heavy weapons of achievement, and I wore them proudly that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this entry?

Racing Accomplishments

  • 2002 Nov--Run For Life 10K
  • 2002 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 5K
  • 2002 Sept--Community Power Challenge 5K
  • 2003 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2003 Sept--Longboat Toronto Island 10K
  • 2004 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2004 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2004 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2006 April--London Spring Run Off 10K
  • 2006 Aug--Midsummer's Night Run 15K
  • 2006 Dec--Honolulu Marathon 42.2K
  • 2006 July--5 Peaks Durham Regional Forest 5K
  • 2006 June--Race the Lake 10K
  • 2006 Oct--Vulture Bait Ultra Trail 10K
  • 2006 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2007 March--Around the Bay 30K
  • 2007 April--Harry's Spring Run Off 8K
  • 2007 May--SportingLife 10K
  • 2007 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2008 Aug--Iroquois Trail Test 32K
  • 2008 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 Oct--Run for the Toad 50K
  • 2008 Oct--Toronto Zoo Run 10K