Search This Blog

September 10, 2008

Travelling the Confederation Trail in PEI

This is my first trip to Prince Edward Island. All I envisioned during the planning phase of my trip was running the Confederation Trail and eating as much shellfish as possible. It's unfortunate that my return to Ontario is during the start of PEI's International Shellfish Festival; I could have easily indulged for another week on this beautiful island. I suppose 10 days will have to suffice; I need to accumulate vacation time for my January trip to Disney World to run the Goofy Challenge.

During my second day on the Island, as it is affectionately called by locals, I went for an 11K jaunt around the capital of Charlottetown, the birthplace of Canadian Confederation, to tour the historic city by foot. I learned quickly that cars rarely stop for pedestrians, and you're lucky if they stop for the flashing lights at the crosswalk. In fact, leaving the airport on my day of arrival, I almost got T-boned by a car running a red light, despite their light being red for a while. I was cautioned by friends that my experience is quite common. I ran along the waterfront boardwalk, past the Lieutenant Governor's Residence, along Water Street, through Confederation Landing park,towards Founder's Hall. I returned home via Sydney Street to soak in the atmosphere of quaint restaurants, cafe's, and shops. The roads throughout Charlottetown are very flat and make for an enjoyable mental escape as you take in the scenery.

After spending time with friends, I ventured out for a 35K run on the Confederation Trail, starting once again in Charlottetown. From Churchill, I took Euston Street across the middle of town to the 9K Charlottetown branch of the Confederation Trail. From tip to tip, the trail totals 270K, but offers 400K of rolled stone dust surface for use when the branch trails into popular towns are accounted for. The offshoot of flat granular stone lead me to the main Royalty Junction trail, where I proceeded West (at least I think I went that way) until the town of Loyalist on Rte 256. That was 19K according to my Garmin, so I headed back the same way. I told my friends of my planned route, and advised them to come and find me if I was not back by a certain time, so I stuck to the route even though thoughts of exploring ventured into my mind. The trail was simply spectacular and well-travelled by many cyclists and runners.

I'm sporting a fever and sore throat this morning, so I'm curling up with a good book until the boys return from golfing--then it's off for some shellfish. All bi-valves should beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this entry?

Racing Accomplishments

  • 2002 Nov--Run For Life 10K
  • 2002 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 5K
  • 2002 Sept--Community Power Challenge 5K
  • 2003 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2003 Sept--Longboat Toronto Island 10K
  • 2004 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2004 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2004 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2006 April--London Spring Run Off 10K
  • 2006 Aug--Midsummer's Night Run 15K
  • 2006 Dec--Honolulu Marathon 42.2K
  • 2006 July--5 Peaks Durham Regional Forest 5K
  • 2006 June--Race the Lake 10K
  • 2006 Oct--Vulture Bait Ultra Trail 10K
  • 2006 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2007 March--Around the Bay 30K
  • 2007 April--Harry's Spring Run Off 8K
  • 2007 May--SportingLife 10K
  • 2007 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2008 Aug--Iroquois Trail Test 32K
  • 2008 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 Oct--Run for the Toad 50K
  • 2008 Oct--Toronto Zoo Run 10K