Search This Blog

September 01, 2008

Fatigue

I've been in a funk since completing the ITT race on August 16th. Immediately following the race, I suffered a short-term flare; however, some anti-inflammatories and lots of sleep brought on a speedy recovery with only minor discomfort. Since then, I have been hit with the forceful blow of energy-sucking general fatigue. Today was my first time running since the ITT, and I made it 2K before I returned home - mainly because of the 26 degree temperature, but also because my legs felt like lead from the start. It was terribly discouraging. In some semblance of a rebuttal, I have been hitting the gym frequently since August 16th to build strength and change up my training with the intent of moving past Boredom Boulevard back to Passionate Parkway. Alas! This fatigue has been plaguing me far too long, and it's hard to treat these lazy days as "recovery" from an internal injury when my personal critic ceases to silence her persistent drone: Is this laziness or fatigue? Am I just unmotivated? Give yourself a break; it's not like many healthy people are doing what you're trying to achieve! But is this laziness or fatigue?

I am perpetually trying to understand the tug-of-war between mental and physical exhaustion. I am curious as to the validity of this so-called lethargy that makes thinking seem like a strain. I feel as if I am constantly fighting my body's drive to sleep, which makes remaining awake all the more a chore. I planned to run 36K this weekend, but sleep got the better of me each day, and by the time I awoke, the heat of this glorious weekend was in full bloom - as if to remind us to not renounce its existence given the rainy summer. I would retire to the gym instead for five sets of varied exercises that would challenge my muscles and provide the satisfaction I miss from running. The workouts were two hours each and I could get lost in the variety of my training plan. Within 10 minutes of exertion with weights, I predictably begin my customary yawning routine - long drawn out reflexes spaced 5-10 minutes apart, acting as nagging reminders of how tired I feel.  

"But I NEED to run!" quips a critical voice.

Is this what most ambitious sufferers of AS endure? Is it common to engage in a daily cognitive battle, not sure of whether the determined "what I want to do" side or the opposing realistic "how I feel" position will be victorious. It's tiresome to be party to, much less read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this entry?

Racing Accomplishments

  • 2002 Nov--Run For Life 10K
  • 2002 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 5K
  • 2002 Sept--Community Power Challenge 5K
  • 2003 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2003 Sept--Longboat Toronto Island 10K
  • 2004 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2004 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2004 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2006 April--London Spring Run Off 10K
  • 2006 Aug--Midsummer's Night Run 15K
  • 2006 Dec--Honolulu Marathon 42.2K
  • 2006 July--5 Peaks Durham Regional Forest 5K
  • 2006 June--Race the Lake 10K
  • 2006 Oct--Vulture Bait Ultra Trail 10K
  • 2006 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2007 March--Around the Bay 30K
  • 2007 April--Harry's Spring Run Off 8K
  • 2007 May--SportingLife 10K
  • 2007 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2008 Aug--Iroquois Trail Test 32K
  • 2008 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 Oct--Run for the Toad 50K
  • 2008 Oct--Toronto Zoo Run 10K