Search This Blog

April 16, 2014

My CrossFit Experience

In March of 2013 I discovered the enigmatic world of CrossFit after reading a few friends' FaceBook posts raving about the health and performance gains they achieved through participating in the CrossFit, Inc. is a fitness company and exercise philosophy founded by Greg Glassman in 2000. CrossFit routines incorporate high-intensity interval training, olympic weightlifting, plyometrics, powerlifting, gymnastics, calisthenics, and strongman exercises among others. I was intrigued by the passion and discipline exuding from these social media posts.

I did some extensive research prior to signing up for a free intro class for interested non-members at CrossFit Oshawa. CrossFit Inc. describes its strength and conditioning program as “constantly varied functional movements executed at high intensity across broad modal and time domains,"[with the stated goal of improving fitness, which it defines as "work capacity across broad time and modal domains."[ Hour-long classes at affiliated gyms, known as "boxes", typically include a warm-up, a skill development segment, the high-intensity "workout of the day" (known affectionately as a WOD), and a period of individual or group stretching.

My husband and I decided to embark on the CrossFit journey together and signed up for our free introductory class where the box's philosophy was explained along with the philosophy of the CrossFit community. I appreciated the holistic and balanced approach to health and performance, and the focus on executing solid techniques safely and without compromise. We performed a few basic exercises - air squats and V-ups - under the watchful supervision of Coach Kevin Bowles (an incredible coach with a meticulous eye for technique). We agreed to come back for the free intro to a regular class where we would work out with their members. The intensity of that first class was indescribable, however, as in approved CrossFit fashion, our work out was "scaled" down to our current ability with the intent of allowing successful progress while still supporting high intensity output. We were hooked on the work outs, the strong sense of community within the box, and the attentiveness of the coaches.

We recently joined a different box in January 2014, CrossFit Courage, which was much closer to our home. This was bittersweet as we had developed a loving affinity for our CrossFit Oshawa coaches and members. A closer location made it easier to attend WODs every day since the proximity was convenient and we didn't have to battle the predictable traffic that built up heading out to Oshawa on Hwy 401. I started off with 2-3 WODs per week to get used to the higher intensity (my husband and I were frequently lightheaded just from the warm up), and I've built up my tolerance to be able to come 5 days per week (plus play tennis afterwards one day per week).

I will be chronicling my experience participating in CrossFit and the effects on my AS. I will also share the wisdom my Physio and Massage Therapist tell me on what I should be avoiding, modifying, or continuing as it relates to my AS. My goal is to get stronger and to prevent further disability from the disease, and I've built a solid health team around me to proactively support my health.

I love my new box and I am forging wonderful friendships at CrossFit Courage, and although I do miss CrossFit Oshawa, I am grateful that CrossFit boxes are part of a larger CrossFit community, which means we are all part of one big family working out together, competing against ourselves together, and supporting each other along the way. I am honoured to have experienced some incredible coaching at both boxes which I can translate into hard work and greater performance gains.

Many thanks to my coaches: Cameron Cassidy, Leea Allen, Tanya Marie, Kevin Bowles, Mark Gomes, Brian Nugent, and Darlene Norris

For more information on CrossFit, visit CrossFit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this entry?

Racing Accomplishments

  • 2002 Nov--Run For Life 10K
  • 2002 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 5K
  • 2002 Sept--Community Power Challenge 5K
  • 2003 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2003 Sept--Longboat Toronto Island 10K
  • 2004 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2004 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2004 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2006 April--London Spring Run Off 10K
  • 2006 Aug--Midsummer's Night Run 15K
  • 2006 Dec--Honolulu Marathon 42.2K
  • 2006 July--5 Peaks Durham Regional Forest 5K
  • 2006 June--Race the Lake 10K
  • 2006 Oct--Vulture Bait Ultra Trail 10K
  • 2006 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2007 March--Around the Bay 30K
  • 2007 April--Harry's Spring Run Off 8K
  • 2007 May--SportingLife 10K
  • 2007 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2008 Aug--Iroquois Trail Test 32K
  • 2008 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 Oct--Run for the Toad 50K
  • 2008 Oct--Toronto Zoo Run 10K