Search This Blog

July 26, 2008

Toad in Training

I bought a new pair of road and trail shoes yesterday: my second pair of Asiics Foundation Gel and a pair of bright lime green Brooks Cascadia 3 pure trail shoes. I wore the Brooks to run 25K at the Toad in Training day held at Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area. I used the training day to not only experience the route I'd be racing October 4th, but to break my shoes in while having access to my Salomen XA Pro 3D trail shoes at the end of each 12.5K loop. I mourned the transition over to Brooks--leaving behind my Kevlar lazy-lace system of the Salomen's--until I ran 25K in the Brook's. What a light, breathable shoe! I still miss my lazy-lace system.
I ran the first 12.5K with Terry, an elderly gentleman I met on the course who was recovering from a recurrent running injury. We chatted non-stop, which made the first loop seem shorter. The weather was very humid with anticipated thunderstorms looming overhead, and pounding central-east Ontario. I was fortunate to avoid most of the rain, but was graced with a few sprinkles during the last 5K of the second loop. The mosquitoes were fierce; I'm not sure how much energy I exerted swishing them away. What I do know is that when you're tired and hot, any mosquito is intolerable. 
The "terrible hill" that people seem to fear during this event was not as terrible as I thought. It was pure grass, intentionally clipped and free of roots and rocks. Steep, especially for tired legs, and appearing steeper with each reintroduction as the loops were conquered. The hill is approximately 1K from the finish/transition point. It's been recommended to save one's energy and walk the hill, as it's not going to make that much of a difference in timing.
Peggy and George, the hosts of the Toad events, generously stocked the transition area with treats: various soft drinks, 8 freshly cut watermelons, chips, lollipops, veggies and dip, among other savouries.  They did an exception job of marking the route with 500 orange flags and signage; the volunteers were all welcoming and encouraging; and the transition area did not wrap up until the last runner returned. 
After the run, I soaked my legs in spring-fed Kettle Lake to leach the lactic acid from my body. It certainly did the trick. I need to remember to bring a beach towel in October so I can soak the rest of me. Next race: the Iroquois Trail Test on August 16th in Kilbride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this entry?

Racing Accomplishments

  • 2002 Nov--Run For Life 10K
  • 2002 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 5K
  • 2002 Sept--Community Power Challenge 5K
  • 2003 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2003 Sept--Longboat Toronto Island 10K
  • 2004 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2004 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2004 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2006 April--London Spring Run Off 10K
  • 2006 Aug--Midsummer's Night Run 15K
  • 2006 Dec--Honolulu Marathon 42.2K
  • 2006 July--5 Peaks Durham Regional Forest 5K
  • 2006 June--Race the Lake 10K
  • 2006 Oct--Vulture Bait Ultra Trail 10K
  • 2006 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2007 March--Around the Bay 30K
  • 2007 April--Harry's Spring Run Off 8K
  • 2007 May--SportingLife 10K
  • 2007 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2008 Aug--Iroquois Trail Test 32K
  • 2008 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 Oct--Run for the Toad 50K
  • 2008 Oct--Toronto Zoo Run 10K