Search This Blog

January 01, 2007

Long Overdue

This post is overdue. How can I sum up the last few months of training: Intense! Worth it!

I achieved a PB at the 2006 Scotia Half Marathon with my personal coach supporting me by my side every step of the way. I also completed my second trail race--the Vulture Bait--which was also my first 10K trail race. I was very pleased to know that I completed that race in the same time it would have taken me on the road. I emerged dirty and grinning from ear to ear.

The Honolulu Marathon was unbelievable! I awoke at 2am, performed my pre-race ritual, and took the bus to my awaited destination for the 5am start. The race started off with fabulous fireworks. I was inspired to be part of a group in which I ran beside many children under the age of 14, a double-amputee with crutches, two blind participants, and wheelchair athletes. The heat--over 29 degrees Celcius--took its toll on many athletes, particularly returning across Diamond Head. Luckily, 3 days prior to my arrival in Oahu, I spent 10 days in Trinidad; their humidity and heat acclimitized me nicely and I never felt the rising temperature of the dawn. Many racers were seen sprawled on bags of ice at the water stations. The volunteers and cheer teams were superb, and I envisioned every spectator was cheering for me. I almost broke down and cried on several occasions when I saw the AIDS Cheer Team holding signs that read: You are a Hero.

It took me two days of hobbling around Honolulu before I started to feel more limber. Now I am looking forward towards my next marathon and the training races in between. I have already signed up for Around the Bay 30K (March), Harry's Spring Run-off 8K (April), Sporting Life 10K (May), Wineglass Marathon (September), and Toronto Half Marathon (October). Future long-term plans will be to run the Glitnir Reykjavík Marathon in Iceland (August) and the Goofy Run at Disney (January) in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this entry?

Racing Accomplishments

  • 2002 Nov--Run For Life 10K
  • 2002 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 5K
  • 2002 Sept--Community Power Challenge 5K
  • 2003 Oct--Canadian International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2003 Sept--Longboat Toronto Island 10K
  • 2004 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2004 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2004 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2006 April--London Spring Run Off 10K
  • 2006 Aug--Midsummer's Night Run 15K
  • 2006 Dec--Honolulu Marathon 42.2K
  • 2006 July--5 Peaks Durham Regional Forest 5K
  • 2006 June--Race the Lake 10K
  • 2006 Oct--Vulture Bait Ultra Trail 10K
  • 2006 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2007 March--Around the Bay 30K
  • 2007 April--Harry's Spring Run Off 8K
  • 2007 May--SportingLife 10K
  • 2007 Oct--Toronto International Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 May--Ottawa National Capital Race 21.1K
  • 2008 Aug--Iroquois Trail Test 32K
  • 2008 Sept--Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon 21.1K
  • 2008 Oct--Run for the Toad 50K
  • 2008 Oct--Toronto Zoo Run 10K